Although it is not a regular thing to see a mouse as a pet. Usually, we have seen mice as a nuisance. Bothering the house owners in every way possible. But they can also prove to be good pets. You may have watched the movie “Stuart Little
,” where a mouse is shown a better pet than a cat.
But why you should have a mouse as a pet?
- Mice prove to be fantastic pets.
- They find joy in being around humans if appropriately taught.
- These creatures don’t much appreciate being touched, but you can them to, at least, come close for a time and play with you.
- Mice do not much require being bathed or groomed.
- Avoid being in contact with them when they seem a little off because it is likely you may get bit by them.
- With some training, they are very joyful and good small pets.
These carrot-loving creatures are among the things that make your day a bit better. They are pretty sophisticated animals and need proper care. Although rabbits are generally scared animals that are eaten mainly by tertiary consumers. So, you have to train them in a way that they don’t fear or mind being touched or hugged.
- Rabbits also make good pets.
- If you have rabbits with longer hair, you will need to groom and brush them almost daily.
- Their spine is fragile and must be held gently.
- Rabbits eat plants to survive. So, you won’t have much trouble feeding them.
- You can train them accordingly, to get along with your children quite well.
You would think, why are we listing the rats after listing the mice above. That is because they are dissimilar in many cases. Although both the creatures are of the same species, a study
has found that rats are better than mice in different aspects. Let’s take a look.
- Both mice and rats need very little care, but rats prefer to stay clean by themselves.
- They are energetic but peaceful in nature.
- Rats’ interaction with humans, preferably kids, is better and more loving than mice.
- These creatures possess a social nature.
- It is easy to train rats than mice.
- And last but not least, the rats prefer to live as a couple. If left alone for long, rats can get depressed.
4. Guinea Pigs:
These cute small pets belong to the same types as rats, mice, and rodents. They have a relatively long lifespan of 4 to 8 years. They also get attached to children, and with their long life, they are not going anywhere soon once you have decided to pet them.
- Guinea Pigs are very friendly with humans.
- They require very little care, and unlike other rodents, they like to be touched and held by their owners.
- These cute creatures also like to have fun with kids.
- They show their personalities quite openly and, therefore, are easy to understand.
- It is relatively easy to train these little pigs.
- Guinea Pigs sometimes like to sleep on you.
- No! It is doubtful that you will get bit by them.
- They are affordable and well-fitted in your budget.
It sounds so odd to pet a lizard, and it is. Because it is not usually seen. But people have their choices and preferences that we can’t help but wonder about. On a brighter note, petting a lizard can be a whole different experience for you or your kid. Let’s take a look at them.
- Lizards make an excellent small pet.
- But unlike the other mentioned small pets here, they need additional care.
- Their food is different, their residing places are different from other animals.
- However, if you have done your homework and understand what’s coming your way, you two might get along pretty well.
- Usually, lizards are odorless, but if you see them stinking mildly, see a doctor. These small pets usually walk through sh*t sometimes, making them dirty and possibly stinking. It is not that big of a deal.
- Their lifespan can range from 3 years to 20 years, depending on their size.
- Lizards can bite, but only in self-defense, not offense.
- Some of the best pet lizards are Bearded Dragon, Leopard Gecko, etc.
Having a good and large aquarium in your house, filled with many fishes, is such a sight to see. These small pets’ presence alone can light up an entire room. They live in water, so there is no chance of brushing their hair or grooming them. Just take good care of their food. Let’s take a look.
- Fishes are good, and never mind small pets. Never mind in a sense that their world is different than ours and they are happy in there.
- They are aquatic, so clearly, they don’t require much training because there is no point.
- Koi fishes can be trained, however.
- Unlike many animals, fish training requires a lot of time.
- Having a fish as a pet has a positive influence on the owner’s health.
- Some of the best pet fishes are Discus, Bettas, etc.
- They have a life span of around 2 to 5 years.
Among the most common small pets for kids are hamsters. They are rodents, but the adorable ones. They are the creatures you may have seen exercising on a wheel in several movies. They love to interact with children. Other than exercise, they love to sleep and rest a lot. Have a look.
- Hamsters are among the most common small pets that people prefer to keep.
- Their bodies are very soft, and it is a treat to hold them in your hands.
- If you are new to keeping pets and lack experience, you should have hamsters as your pets.
- However, their care is no rocket science but is not to be taken for granted.
- They don’t require regular bathing, but you should do it when you feel like it.
- Their lifespan is around 2 to 3 years.
Making the article a bit colorful, we have beautiful birds that not only make your house colorful but your life as well. Some people think it is not right to have birds as pets because they are meant to be free, but it is a matter of choice. We will take a peek at birds as small pets for kids.
- Birds are simple and good pets.
- They don’t require much training unless you have a parrot, who you can teach to speak.
- Requiring less training and relatively more minor care makes them appealing as beginning pets.
- If you take proper care of them, then their lifespan can expand upto a whopping 50 years.
- They, sometimes, outlive their owners.
- Birds are a pleasure to the eyes.
- Budgies, Cockatiels, and many others are the best-known small pet birds.
- They require very little space and little to no bathing (obviously!)
The rodents do make great small pets. Here we have yet another rodent, the Gerbil. They can also prove to be good starting pets not just for kids but also for adults. People don’t fear leaving gerbils with their kids at times. Have a look with us.
- Gerbils are very energetic and smart.
- They can also become a household’s first small pets.
- They don’t much like being held, but it doesn’t mean you can’t do that.
- If you are the type of owner who just wants a pet but doesn’t want to physically interact with them, gerbils are for them.
- Being around them is joyful.
- Their lifespan can range from 2 to 4 years at max.
Ferrets are cute animals that have been tamed for thousands of years. They look adorable and tend to have a strong bond with humans, especially children. Let’s see.
- Ferrets are smart and loving creatures.
- Don’t let their small size fool you because they need additional care. More than any other pet listed here.
- Because of that, it is recommended that only skilled owners decide to pet them.
- They don’t bite unless provoked.
- Ferrets need to bathe more than often than other pets.
- Their lifespan is around 5 to 10 years.
Conclusion for Owning Small Pets:
All the small pets listed here are great for your kids. Most of them are rodents; that is why basic training is paramount. If you have decided to own a pet, be prepared to give them genuine care, as much as they require.
They are not things or showpieces that you just bring and put in a corner. They are living beings. So, ask yourself that am I actually ready to own a pet? If yes, do it by all means. If not, kindly first develop a little experience for their care.
It is always better to have a pet in your house, and what is better than having an animal that gets along with your children as well? That is why people tend to keep small pets in their houses. One of many purposes is that these pets require less maintenance and are safe to have around.
As you know, many people prefer to keep cats or dogs, some own other relatively larger animals like horses. But it is recommended that if you have kids in the house, it would be best to have small pets such as mice, rabbits, etc.
Here we will be listing some of the best small pets for kids and why should you have them.